I'll wait here until you've taken a peek and become fanatical about it.
Go ahead, take your time.
Now, if you're like me, one of your first thoughts was, "How can I go about making a DVD of the first Harry Potter movie, with the WPDR audio as an alternate audio track?" You're probably not like me, but I'm going to tell you how to do so anyway.
I should note a few things.
A Note: There are two versions of the data files available here. One is for dvdauthor versions up through (and including) 0.6.14. The other is for versions after 0.6.14 (which include 0.6.18, and the newer 0.7.0 branch). After 0.6.14, ownership of the dvdauthor utility changed hands, and the format it used for the menu files changed somewhat. If you've downloaded the wrong one and don't want to redownload the whole thing, you can actually just regenerate the menu files using the mkmenus.sh script in there. The 0.6.14-and-before tarball was also updated on Jan 4, 2011 with a minor tweak to the wizard_people.xml file to make it work on both new and old versions of dvdauthor.(Updated Jan 4, 2011)Once you have those and follow these instructions, you should have a DVD with the following menus (the logo changes depending on which audio you've selected, and the DVD defaults to using the WPDR audio):
For new dvdauthor versions (after 0.6.14): wizard_people.tbz2
For dvdauthor versions through 0.6.14: wizard_people_dvdauthor_0.6.14.tbz2
First off, you'll want to go grab the mp3 files from the actual Wizard People, Dear Reader homepage. Links to the files themselves (via archive.org):
Just so that we're starting off on the right foot, here's how those files look to me. If you've got different filesizes or md5sums, etc, you'll want to make extra-sure that what I'm telling you will do the trick.
file size md5sum wiz1.mp3 36583866 706c5a977e6be66d791c58f76f85f0c7 wiz2.mp3 35453311 00d8ddb45bf1325315c6a8e943d22021The first number of steps are all audio processing tasks, so you can probably substitue your tools of choice for many of them.
lame --decode wiz1.mp3 wiz1.wav lame --decode wiz2.mp3 wiz2.wav
I've found that a 2.5dB increase in volume is about right.
normalize -g 2.5 wiz1.wav
You can use just about anything for this. From a high-level perspective, you want to first pad the end of wiz1.wav until it's at 01:13:48.890 (small variations don't matter), and concatenate wiz2.wav at the end. Then fill the end of the file with silence until 02:32:21.376. The padding at the end doesn't actually seem to be, strictly speaking, necessary. In the end, your file should be 806,269,488 bytes (small variations in size really won't matter). Name this file wiz.wav, and you can then delete the intermediate files if you want.
A couple of sox commands to do this for you, using an intermediate file:
sox wiz1.wav wiztmp.wav pad 0 3.615 sox wiztmp.wav wiz2.wav wiz.wav pad 0 417.405 rm wiztmp.wav... or all at once, without an intermediate file:
sox wiz1.wav -t wav - pad 0 3.615 | sox -t wav - wiz2.wav wiz.wav pad 0 417.405
I used sox for this... There's a number of different resampling options, check sox's manpage for details (this page, linked from the manpage, has a bunch of detail on what the various modes mean). Personally I just used "polyphase" since that seemed to give the "best" quality, and I didn't care how long it took:
sox wiz.wav -r 48000 wiz48k.wav polyphase
transcode -i wiz48k.wav -y null,raw -N 0x2000 -E 48000,16,2 -b 384 -m sound-wpdr.ac3My sound-wpdr.ac3 file was 438,784,512 bytes when it was done.
mplayer dvd://1 -dumpvideo -dumpfile video.m2v mplayer dvd://1 -dumpaudio -dumpfile sound-orig.ac3 -aid 128The "-aid 128" option will ensure that it's the english audio track you're grabbing. mplayer should output a list of available audio tracks as it starts up - feel free to pick and choose if you want, obviously, though my dvdauthor XML files assume that you've only kept the one english audio track. On my system, video.m2v is 6,157,880,136 bytes, and sound-orig.ac3 is 511,917,056 bytes.
At this point, you should be able to get the following with the file command:
sound-orig.ac3: ATSC A/52 aka AC-3 aka Dolby Digital stream, 48 kHz,, complete main (CM) 3 front/2 rear, LFE on,, 448 kbit/s reserved Dolby Surround mode sound-wpdr.ac3: ATSC A/52 aka AC-3 aka Dolby Digital stream, 48 kHz,, complete main (CM) 2 front/0 rear, LFE on,, 384 kbit/s reserved Dolby Surround mode video.m2v: MPEG sequence, v2, MP@ML interlaced Y'CbCr 4:2:0 video, CCIR/ITU NTSC 525, 16:9, 29.97 fpsNote that at this point, those are the only three files you need to keep around. Especially if you're low on disk space, all the .wav files that we had been working with can be deleted.
mplex -f8 -o wizard_people.vob video.m2v sound-wpdr.ac3 sound-orig.ac3The end file, wizard_people.vob, came out to 7,249,860,608 bytes on my system.
Here's where my dvdauthor files come into play. Unpack the tarball and you'll see it creates a wizard_people directory. Move wizard_people.vob inside it. Inside wizard_people, you should see a whole bunch of menu_* files and another wizard_people directory. (If the wizard_people directory doesn't exist, create it). Then run:
dvdauthor -x wizard_people.xmlOnce that's done processing, you should have an empty AUDIO_TS and a full-of-data VIDEO_TS inside the wizard_people directory. That's the DVD image! It would be a good idea to test it out before burning:
growisofs -speed=2 -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -dvd-video -f -V HP_WPDR wizard_people